Wednesday 10 January 2018

The RC Hotwheels Project [Buckthorn]

Bluetooth Arduino cars...seen one seen them all, right? well here's another i hope this small signal breaks through the noise...nice pun?

I'm not much of char* person so I'll explain along with some pretty pictures but first, some more words; the idea I have is to take a Hotwheels car and make it RC. specifically Bluetooth via android.
I would like full analogue steering, a horn, some lights, a nice speed for table top or track use (gotta get over them loops). perhaps create a kit??



Lets start with our ugly duckling. a 1968 GT500 i chose this car because  the chassis was very square and was easy to replicate in cad.

The first challenge was to find a drive train they would fit on the tiny rear axle, many RC cars of this size use the largest possible gear and run the motor parallel with the axle. however finding a suitable source of these gears was tricky, so a made my own worm drive. using a gear from a clock, and a bolt. I discovered an M5 bolt had the perfect pitch to mesh with the gear.
Now, i don't have any kind of machine shop, my best tool I have is my drill. so to create the worm gear, i sawed off the head and chucked it up in the drill. Next I stuck the drill on full speed and the could see the rough center of the bolt as it span. using an razor blade (any hardened steel blade will do) I carefully pressed the blade tip in the round about center of the bolt and it wobbled a bit so after a few goes i managed to get it on center. then using a pair of pliers holding a drill bit i drilled a hole in the center. it came out rather good.

No comments:

Post a Comment